Friday, January 9, 2009

Potty Training

When I woke up yesterday, I had no intentions of doing cold turkey potty training with Patrick, but he had other plans. Over the last several months he has used the potty off and on, but has never really shown an interest in ditching his diapers. He'd go pee in the potty once and tell me he wanted to go pee in his diaper the next time. I've been telling him for at least a month that if he went poop in the potty he could pick out a movie to watch and if he went pee in the potty he would get a sticker. He didn't seem to care until yesterday.

He told me he had to go poop.
I asked if he wanted to go on the potty.
He said yes! And did it!

He's been in underwear (with the exception of overnight) for two days now. He doesn't want diapers anymore. He's doing really well. He's gone in the potty more times than his underwear, has had a dry nap, and survived his first outing (Toys R Us, KMart and lunch) with no accidents. I tried to convince him to wear a diaper for the outing, but he refused. Ya, I'm a chicken. I also needed to go to Costco, but I figured I wouldn't press my luck on his first day out. He is still in pull ups at night because he's always soaked by morning, but I think he is on his way to potty trained.

Funny things he's said on the subject:

"No, Mom. No pee first. Poop first, then pee."

"Mommy, there's a little tiny hole in it."

"No, no dump pee on Kimberly's head. Messy."

"Bye, pee. I'm going to get a sticker way over there."

3 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

yay, patrick!!! WOW, sounds like it's going well!

and too, too funny!!

Corinne Doughan said...

YEAH Patrick! Way to be a BIG boy!!!!

I remember going cold turkey with Jackson ... that was scary ... we even made a trip to San Francisco and Yosemite when he was training, BUT he hadn't had a #2 accident in awhile ... still scary though!

It's amazing how kids just decide that they want to be potty trained and then just do it!

Anonymous said...

My almost three year old was the same way. I did get nervious the first time taking her out in public without a diaper (my husband is still afraid to do it). I think you just have to bite the bullet & take a change of clothes & underwear with you. they have to learn sometime, right? My daughter is still wearing a Pull Up at nighttime but we are starting to try to ease off the juice before nighttime (she woke up dry last night). good luck with the rest of potty training--i know it isn't easy!

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com