Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bible Study

Chuck and I have decided to do a Bible study one night a week at home (It's just too difficult for me to make it out on a weekly basis for a women's study right now). We're looking for recommendations or reviews of ones you've done. We're looking for one that focusses mainly on marriage and parenting. We'd prefer one that uses a workbook for independent Bible study throughout the week, with either weekly discussion questions or a short video to do together to guide our conversation. Oh, and contemporary would be great (as in written in the year 2000 or newer), especially if it's a video.

Or, if you don't know of a specific Bible study, maybe you could share your favorite author on such subjects. We could always use a regular book as a jumping off spot for a Bible study too.

Thanks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katy,

Nathan and I have done a study twice called "Love and Respect" by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. The first time was just a book, the second time was a DVD and workbook. We really learned a lot from it. Our church also used the curriculum in the Marriage Sunday School classes. In a nutshell, it discusses how women need love and men need respect and how the bible supports this notion (Ephesians 5:33 is referenced a lot.) Anyway, this is one that I would recommend. Allison

I am Katy, said...

Thanks, Allison. I'll check that one out.

Corinne Doughan said...

Funny I was going to suggest "Love and Respect" as well!! Good book. Opened my eyes to Colin's needs. For parenting, I suggest "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp. I'm working on "Teach Your Children Diligently" ... I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

Alicia said...

Do the love language books come as studies? I think those would apply to both. I'll have to think...but I'm gunna loose my computer soon!

Ellen said...

Hi Katy!
Well, you know I would love to have you come to our weekly study BUT I know you are in a season of life that makes it hard to keep that kind of committment!
I suggest that you browse all around the familylife.com (Dennis Rainey) website - they have lots of different resources and what I have seen of theirs is solid (of course I haven't looked at all of it, though!). Love and Respect is the popular book these days, but I have not read it yet. I have heard mixed opinions from my counseling colleagues on it, mostly that he is too light on sin and our sin nature. I'll have to read it for myself before I pass final judgment, though!
Would love to hear what you end up doing!

Ellen said...

hi again...I meant to add that I have heard that the FamilyLife Homebuilders studies are really good:
http://store.familylife.com/quick-search.asp?q=homebuilders&searchType=keyword

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com