Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Long Awaited Cloth Diaper Post

I've been telling you all I'd do a post about how we came to do cloth diapers in our house and what that process looks like. So, here it is, finally.





When we first found out we were pregnant with Patrick, we had no intentions of cloth diapering because I assumed cloth diapering was still the old school kind with pins and plastic pull up covers. In researching baby gear, I came across some really cute cloth diapers called AIOs (all-in-ones). The brand I fell in love with was Very Baby. I loved the idea of a cloth diaper that goes on just like a disposable and their tag has an adorable little giraffe on it. So cute. Chuck was surprisingly on board the moment I told him I was interested in using cloth.





I continued to research cloth diapers while I was pregnant and decided it would be best to try out a few different styles/brands to see what we liked best before making the big investment. I really wanted to choose one diapering system and go with it rather than have a bunch of different styles/brands. So, I went on eBay and bought the following (all used): 2 Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers, 1 Very Baby AIO, a couple WAHM (work at home mom) AIOs, and 2 Bumkins AIO. I also had a friend who used to own a diaper service give me some prowrap covers to use with prefolds.





Once Patrick came along, I used disposables for about 2 weeks until he was big enough to wear the cloth diapers, then I gave them all a try. Here's what I liked and didn't like about each of them:





Fuzzi Bunz- I liked the colors, the snaps were easy to use, and the covers air dried quickly. Poop stains sunned out well. I didn't like that there was only one print fabric to choose from, the rest were solids. You have to stuff the inserts into them before use.





Very Baby- This one was adorable on. But, it took forever to dry. It would take days to line dry this one. It took 2 times through the dryer for this one to dry completely. I couldn't sun the poop stains out for some reason. Maybe because of all the layers right against each other?





WAHM AIOs- The only thing I liked with these were the snaps. The ones I tried were very bulky and the inner fabric rolled out at the leg casings which means they would wick moisture onto Patrick's clothes. Like the Very Baby brand, these ones took forever to dry.





Bumkins- I liked the idea of these ones. One of the inner layers is only sewn at the 2 ends so that these dry faster than other AIOs. The bad was that they weren't very absorbant and I didn't like the silky feel of the outer fabric. They were noisy. I didn't like the velcro closures. I had to pick lint out of the velcro at each washing to keep the velcro clean so it would stick to itself to hold the diaper on.





Prefolds with Prowrap covers- This is what we used the most in that trial period because we only had a few of the others, but lots of these. I liked that they were very absorbant. I didn't like that the leg casings on the covers would get poop stains on the leg gusset elastic that was really hard to sun out, so they always looked dirty. Again, picking lint out the elastic was a pain too.





So after trying them all out, we decided on Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers. I like how, once pre-stuffed, they go on like an AIO, but that the inserts come out for washing so that they get cleaner and dry faster. And, they use snaps rather than velcro. I resold all the others back on eBay and made back what I had invested.



After adding in the 7 girly colored ones we got fro Kimberly, I believe we have 28 smalls, 21 mediums, and 19 larges. My favorite of the currently available colors are bubblegum and periwinkle:




I made cloth wipes by cutting up some non-fraying polyester blend fabric into squares that when folded in half fit into a disposable wipes tub. I just add water to the tub of wipes, but some people like to use tea tree oil or another wipes solution.



















I have two different hangers for drying the covers. One is a tie rack.
The other is a pant hanger.
I use this deteegent. The secret to keeping the diapers from getting smelly is to use very little detergent, because detergent build up is super stinky. Trust me. I figured it out the hard way.

I know I didn't cover everything there is to know about cloth diapering. If you have any questions, just leave a comment and I'll attempt to answer them.

8 comments:

Stephanie Tang said...

Hi. My name is Stephanie and I'm Jennie Scholl's sister. My husband and I are expecting our first baby in March. I LOVED this post. We would like to try cloth, but I have been overwhelmed with the options out there. Thanks for all the info! Have you tried G Diapers out at all? They seem like they might be more expensive. Also, how much time to you think you spent a week (with one child) washing/drying the diapers?
Thanks for your help!

I am Katy, said...

Hi Stephanie,

Congrats on your little one.

I've never tried gdiapers myself, but have heard reviews. I've heard they are the worst of both diapering worlds; you have disposable inserts to buy on a regular basis and cloth covers to wash. And the cost seems high. Some of my friends have been happy using the gdiaper covers and a cloth insert instead of the disposable ones.

As far as time, I assume you're asking how much of my time it takes. I spend a few minutes a day spraying the poop off of Patrick's once a day poopy diaper (Kimberly is still exclusively breastfed, so her poopy diapers don't need sprayed), 2 minutes to load the wash and start it, a minute to restart the washer, 5-10 minutes to transfer to dryer and hang to dry, 10 minutes to stuff the inserts in the diapers and put them away. I launder about 3 times a week, so I spend a total of about an hour a week doing the diapers.

Zimms Zoo said...

You posted over at my blog when I had some questions about cloth diapers. Since then I check your blog occasionally. I was thrilled to see this post.

We decided to make some covers ourselves and I will buy a few too. Is that detergent a Wal-Mart brand or exclusive to your area of the country. I don't think that I have seen it before. Right now I just use the Wal-Mart brand. Our baby isn't here yet so I am still doing some last minute research.

I am Katy, said...

Hi Zimms Zoo,

Good job making your own covers. I'm impressed. The Sun dtergent is from my local warehouse grocery store called FoodMAXX. Here's a great list to check out to see how the different detergents compare for CD washing.

[url]http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm[/url]

A thankful heart said...

I loooooved this post...I think I visit it almost daily. I have officially just entered the "nesting" phase which for me also means obsessing phase...so I have been reading up and researching cloth diapers...wow.. so much info out there...I think I'm going to need you to come visit and teach me from your *overflowing* wisdom:) I didn't even know you could buy cloth diapers second hand/used...which is such a relief..I know the price comparison to disposable is amazing, but the initial purchase price can be overwhelming...so used is great!!
What price is reasonable to spend on a "Used" cloth diaper from e-bay or any other site?? So far, it seems $10-12 is the average?? My mom is going to throw Sam's babyshower, and it's going to be a cloth diaper shower...how do people purchase those for you?? I would looove it for you to come.. probably in two months(since I need them before his arrival...) I have sooo many questions and can't think of any of them...nice I'll write back when I do!
Thanks for all your advie Katy, you are encouraging and I always feel it's managable after we talk/blog:) Plus the costs are enough convincing!!
xoxo Kendall

Sarah Griffin said...

Hi Katy,

We are going to start using the Fuzzi Bunz with Brody once we move next month and have our own washer and dryer. Do you dry them in the dryer, or is it better to hang dry them?

Thanks! :)
Sarah

I am Katy, said...

Hi Kendall,

$10 seems like a good used price if they're in great condition.

I am Katy, said...

Sarah-

The covers will last longer if you line dry them, but the inserts can be dried on hot.

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com